A memoir of my year in Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Allow me to dust this off before I begin...=/

Well, it goes without saying that it has been TOO long since I have last posted. I'm sorry! Jackson Hole has kept me busier than you can imagine! Between my role as a teacher, a graduate student, a proud owner of a new puppy, and recent snow-sport enthusiast, I haven't left myself much time to blog. But I'm here now, friends, so read on for an update!

Over the last few months, I'm proud to say that I've learned to ski and snowboard!  These new hobbies have been filling up my weekends with great times on the mountain. I'm having such a blast!

 Skiing on Snow King Mountain









Cross Country Skiing beside the Snake River near my cabin

My latest achievement is attempting snowboarding! (Boy, does it leave you sore!) In this picture, I was at the Village, which is the large ski resort in Jackson Hole.

We have been getting SO MUCH SNOW here in Jackson Hole! The views are beautiful as ever, though! 








Cross-country skiing in my yard

We went on a sled tour of the Elk Refuge - so neat!

Elk Refuge tour


We have been keeping very busy here at Pioneer Classical School over the past few months. Though our (now) small academy houses only 7 students, we are in the process of growing to serve many more students in Jackson Hole. This exciting development has provided me wonderful opportunities to learn about what goes into growing a school, which has truly been so intriguing and inspirational! My favorite part of this whole adventure has been sharing with the community what classical, liberal arts education looks like, and what the Great Hearts model is! Speaking at community events and giving tours to interested families seem like regular tasks on my agenda these days! We were even interviewed by the Planet Jackson Hole newspaper for our endeavor of spreading the classical model! 



In other news...
A month ago, I adopted a new puppy!!! His name is Benedetto (Benny, for short), and he sure is a sweet and energetic companion! He is four  months old, and part cattle dog (blue heeler) and Labrador. Isn't he just the cutest?! :)

This is when I first met Benny. He seemed a bit skeptical of me, but I knew I'd take him home as soon as I saw that adorable face. :)

 Benny loves the snow!

When I first brought him home, he was curious about the contraption I was always facing at him (my camera), but as you can imagine, he quickly got used to the paparazzi. 

Benny trying to chew in peace... not happening. "Say cheese!" 

Benny loves the scenic walks near the house!

After Christmas, I decided to take on the job of cooking dinner for 50 people for our weekly church gathering. 10 lbs. of pasta with homemade sauce later... people went home with full stomachs! Here are a couple photos of the evidence... 




I realize I haven't posted since before the holidays! (Boy, am I bad at this blogging thing or what?!) Rewinding even further back...
I had a fantastic time visiting friends and family in Arizona, New York, and Virginia over the Thanksgiving break! Here are a few pictures of that grand adventure!

I saw the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. What a lovely Christmas performance to get in the holiday spirit!

There is one thing better than blowing out a birthday candle in a cannoli... the fact that your closest friends know you well enough to surprise you with a cannoli for your birthday cake! ;)

My family celebrated Thanksgiving in Washington DC at my brother's house.
 Old trees = very LARGE leaves :)

Finding the perfect Christmas tree for my brother 

Returning to my humble abode, and decorating for the holiday

I spent Christmas in warm and sunny Arizona, which was just what I needed to recuperate before returning to snowy Wyoming. It sure has been a busy few months! I look forward to enjoying the rest of the winter up here on my skis and snowboard! What a wonderful adventure this is turning out to be... :)

I hope you're well! Please send an email to fill me in on the new and exciting adventures in YOUR life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.